Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Alma Mater

I was clicking around Wikipedia this morning and randomly googled "ACS Kampar"; my alma mater. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACS_Kampar)

SMK Methodist ACS Kampar; more commonly known as ACS Secondary

Picture credits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampar%2C_Perak


This particular paragraph caught my attention,

"... During World War II, the school was used as the main office for the local Japanese administration in Kampar. Also, the assembly grounds for the ACS Secondary School was used as the execution grounds by the troops. Because of this dark period of time, former students of the school have alleged sightings of supernatural beings. Common claims include sounds of Japanese troops marching and beheaded souls wandering around..."

Tales of decapitated heads being put on display in the basketball court were common. Stories of sightings of Japanese soldiers marching in the basketball court were not unheard of...

I was not spared of hearing such tales from my schoolmates and seniors during my 11 years in the school (both primary and secondary). But am thankful that I haven't been in encounter with any 'spooky beings' during the few camps I've attended in school. Although I must admit, walking alone along the school corridors at night and past midnight gave me goose-bumps! Was too chicken to walk alone back then!

AND YES, NOW TOO! I'm afraid of the dark as my imagination runs wild....

______

Oh yes, not forgetting this paragraph too!

"... the school has consistently emerged as one of the front-runners for the Majlis Sukan Sekolah-Sekolah Perak (MSSPK), which is the state sports council..."

*screams proudly! I was part of it!* *lols*

Can still remember those days in the athletics team! Training in the padang (as shown in the picture above) in the scorching sun at 3pm - 630pm EOD (every other day)! No wonder I was extremely tanned! And yes, waking up at 530am during the 'sports season' for morning jogs with my neighbour (who was also my teammate in the 4x100m relay team). *I think we might have been suffering from OCD - obsession with winning?* She was the anchor (i.e. 4th runner) and me, the starter (i.e. 1st runner). OM, the 2nd runner and AC, the 3rd runner. I know how to use a starting block! *proud*

We had a cheesy running vest (i.e. athletics team singlet) emblazoned in our school colours of yellow and blue (sounds like a horrid combination, but it doesn't look too bad!), with the words "ACS Cemerlang, ACS Kampar" written across it. I wonder who had the idea of putting such 'syok sendiri' words! Still happily wearing the vest at home these days, no other baju mah! :P

Nice memories of Kamal and Anba leading the cheers for our team! *ACS! ACS! ACS!...* Rathiga leading our warming up sessions and Jane leading our drills!

______

To sum it up, my best memories:

1. Athletics; this definitely has to top the list!

2. BM Debate

- I still remember the day Cikgu Zaiton went mad when she found out that we lied to her that "Cikgu, kita kalahkan STAR (a top school in Ipoh)" when we had in fact benefitted from a walkover. She cursed us for weeks - Zul, Anil, Amy and I.

3. The Prefects' Board kena rotan saga.

4. Whenever we sneaked out early for recess and were punished to lari padang with the bowl of noodles (or whatever we had ordered) in our hands! *lols* Imagine the Ketua Pengawas and the rest of the Board doing that! :P

5. Prefect's Camp, PRS Camp, Leo Club activities

- Along with the water fights and when WC pretended to be a ghost in the basketball court; with a white cloth draped round his body along with a skateboard - so that he appeared to be 'gliding' and not walking! Can't imagine him as a dentist now!

-LV-

*those were the days when we were young and innocent :P

No comments: