Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007: The Year that Was

Warning: This will be a long post, feel free to skip it if you wish to. It's meant to be a personal account of what life was like for me in 2007; for personal record purposes.

Note: The sentences in colour are recent updates.
_____

Here's what I've been up to in 2007. However, instead of starting the chronological countdown from January 2007, I shall begin my account of events from September 2006 as I view it as the proper starting point of what constitutes a 'year' for me; the start of another academic year in Manchester.


September 2006
I had my qualms and initial doubts, but nonetheless made up my mind to pursue my PG studies. Hence, yet another year in Manchester for me. Touched down in Manchester on the 16th September, met up with Vince; got some essentials and I was back home sorting out some stuff. Fell ill the following day, walked across the road to St. Mary's Hospital for what I thought would be a routine visit to the doctor's (with NS in tow). Little did I know, I ended up being hospitalised for the 1st time in my life. Reason? Suspected Malaria. Test results turned out negative, and I was discharged the following day. (Thank God!)



October 2006


Settled down into my course, made a couple of good friends, and boy it felt weird being the only Asian in my class! BTW, there were only 3 international students in my class (the other 2 being Africans - Dorcas and Divine; I do miss them!). Got my first part-time job at Druckers. It feels good having some cash flowing in every week.
Living with my lovely flatmates is a bliss! I miss the grocery trips to Asda with Yiwen, trips around town gossiping about the Angmohs in Mandarin right in front of them in Mandarin with Mel. (PS: Thank God you learnt Mandarin Mel!) And yes, the fights with the cleaners and Uni. admin which I do not wish to repeat here.
Oh yes, started my Korean class. Min's such a lovely teacher; he's such a dear! LIFE IS GOOD!


With Dan and Divine on my final day in Manchester; met up at Footage for a final chitchat and drinks session.

With my lovely flatmates; Mel, Yiwen and Hui-Chi on my birthday in New Samsi



November 2006

Started my stint as a Student Ambassador as well, a weekly task that I enjoyed a lot. Worked with kids; mostly speaking to them about University life and bringing them around the Museum. Best part of the job is being able to meet new people/colleagues every week! Apart from that, handled my first and last case at the Legal Advice Centre for this term; work and studies were taking its toll, and I began to find it hard to divide my time.


December 2006

Christmas break. Didn't do any travelling. Stayed back to work and complete my courseworks. Had a Christmas dinner with Steph, Vince, Bishal and Jessica. First time making gammon. Turned out okay taste wise, but Vince and I should have toned down on the salt. *Right?* And yes, began playing squash again. *yayness!* Also, began to think seriously about going on a Raleigh Expedition in 2007.

January 2007

Slogged through the 4 papers I had to write (Thank God we got an extension from Matti for one of them, or else it would have been hell!) Glad to have Steph n Vince around for support during those frustrating times! Oh man! I hate Philosophy.


February 2007

3rd CNY away from home; nothing much except for the annual dinner we always have together. And yes, how could I forget the lovely Dimsum brunch with Vince and Ha! Along with the CNY parade at Chinatown; lion dance, firecrackers, Chinese traditional dances. *fun!* Valentine's was nothing special; went out for a dinner with the girls as usual. Celebration of singlehood? *lols* Started my 2nd sem; beginning to hate Mental Health Law. Sucks big time! Submitted my application form for Raleigh Expedition.

Vince and I at Chinatown; I hate this picture, but how could a post on my life for 2007 be complete without a picture of my bestest surrogate brother?!? *Agree?*

Lion dance by guai los (ironically), for guai los (as expected)... *hehe*

March 2007

1st trip with my hard-earned money! Went to Amsterdam with CC and Amy. Staying on a boat was great fun!

Amsterdam; Kukenhoef Tulip Garden


April/May 2007

Nothing much done, apart from slogging to finish off my 2nd semester papers. 4 altogether along with a dissertation proposal. Free time was spent complaining to Mel about my workplace, etc and also spent planning for bro's visit.


June 2007

Bro finally arrived! He spent a total of 3 weeks in Manchester; thankfully I managed to get time off work. We travelled extensively; Manchester - Paris - London/Windsor - Rome - Manchester. It was awesome. Apart from that, I began to plan for my epic journey home.


July/August 2007

Booked my flight tickets home. Abandoned plans of extensive travel throughout Northern Europe as I did not want to risk travelling on overnight trains alone. Hence, decided on a Manchester - Denmark - Sweden - Hong Kong - Macau - KL route home. Stopped work officially on 28th August; it was blissful! Finished up my dissertation... glad to be done with it as I knew that I've opened Pandora's Box the moment I started my research on the chosen topic. Well, at least I graduated...

Mel's Birthday Cupcakes - from Yiwen and I (Can't believe I sent her on a Treasure Hunt for it! And she gamely played along!)




September 2007

Packed my bags, and shipped some stuff home. Left Manchester on the 7th September for Copenhagen and there I was gallavanting alone in Northern Europe for the next 4 days. It was blissful! Next, made my way to Asia - HongKong via Helsinki. At this point, I regretted my decision not to visit Finland! Anyway, met up with MW in HongKong and we had an awesome 6 days in HK/Macau. She's such a lovely travelling partner!

Anyway, arrived home (for good) on the 16th September 2007 @ 2335pm, exactly a year since I left. It felt good.

Executed my Raleigh fundraising projects on the following 2 weekends. ZY (especially) has been such a dear during the whole project! I'm ever thankful to him for doing all the groundwork and running around while I did the correspondence part overseas. Kudos also to Vincent and Jun! It was also at this point when I realised that it was impossible for me to participate in the Autumn expedition at this point as it clashes heavily with my CLP (bad planning on my part). Informed SC and PT about my decision. Despite that, I went ahead with my fundraising and I endeavour to participate in an expedition in the future. It would be morally wrong to fleece the donations.


Feature article on us and our fundraising activities on the Rage. Picture taken from ZhiYong's blog.

It was also, at this point where I decided to put a stop on an on-off friendship; which I knew was never going to kick-off to a proper start anyway. Up till this point, I could never fathom why things turned out that way, but well, I'm glad to have made this decision, and life couldn't be better.

Oh yes, I was seriously ill during my 1st fundraising project too! High fever, plus the harrowing experience of a broken contact lens in my eye!



Macau - KL (I'm heading home!)

October 2007

Felt out of place; after 2 weeks of being home. I was living without a routine. FYI, I'm someone who thrives on a routine. Hence, I felt like a headless chicken without one. Started CLP classes, and hated it! Also, began to reconstruct my social life back home. Got reacquainted with my old friends i.e. my gang, and also began to hang out with the folks at Raleigh; getting to know them more. A lovely bunch I must say!

Plus, it's nice having my trusted confidantes close to me now... finally! (Steph, MW, KH, to name a few) Thanks guys!


November 2007

Began to embrace and love my new life back home. But still, haven't quite adjusted. Made a bunch of close friends in CLP class (HP, SW.... you spice up my life esp. on weekends), and began to enjoy the course as well. Started to go jogging and to the gym again. Life is good!


December 2007

I've fully adjusted to life back home. But admittedly, there are somethings about Manchester that I will miss. Still, nothing beats being home! Oh yes, driving and navigation skills getting better. Yet, I hate driving in KL!

Oh yes, my allergy (which I though I had successfully weaned myself off...) has struck again! This time, with a vengeance. Suffering from blocked sinuses everyday!

Made a couple of roadtrips to Melaka and Cameron Highlands respectively. December has been a relaxing month in general.


Oh yes, December 13th - I finally 'graduated' with an MA! Didn't make it for the ceremony though. Nonetheless, it's something achieved!


And I hereby eagerly embrace 2008!



-LV-

3 comments:

zh1yong said...

hey, you stole my photo!! Never knew that the vege in Cameron were so tall !

LV said...

yes, i did steal yr pic, but i credited you for it ok! :P

no plagiarism :P

Noob Tourist said...

I love that 'LV's head and the vege' pic in Cameron! cute ehh