The Formula 1 season will begin in 3 days time. Friday testing, Saturday qualifying and Sunday raceday. Australia; 16th March 2008 will be the first stop of the season, followed by back-to-back races in Malaysia and Bahrain.
Malaysia first hosted Formula 1 races back in 1999, and it was during then my interest in this sport grew. Mika Hakkinen was the man to beat back then, and Michael Schumacher, his nemesis. Hakkinen has since retired and Schumacher has gone on to take a multiplicity of world titles and has now retired as well. I could still recall the days when I was a true-blue Hakkinen and McLaren fan, till the day Hakkinen retired.
Mika Hakkinen, my favourite driver of all times...
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrickmayon/550258005/)
Kimi then joined the fray. Things did not look good for McLaren as they went through one of their worst few seasons. Kimi has since left McLaren (and been branded a traitor by some McLaren diehards, oh well.... the Ferrari-McLaren debate) and is the newly crowned world champion. Well done!
2007/08 was a season of ups and downs for McLaren. 2 new drivers joined the team; double world champion Fernando Alonso, and newbie Lewis Hamilton. Watching Formula 1 races in UK (was studying there then) did not contribute much towards my liking towards Hamilton. Yes, he was good for a rookie, but biased reporting on ITV and the British press made it revolting! And so, I supported Alonso. Then came the McLaren-Ferrari Spy Espionage. They were not innocent, and were lucky to have gotten away with minimal punishment i.e. being stuckoff the Constructors Championship.
The last race in China was interesting. Glad that Lewis got knocked off early in the race, and that left Fernando in the hunt for the world title. But alas, the dark horse won the race! Kimi Raikkonen (my 'ex') was crowned the World Champion 2007/08.
As much as I'm looking forward to the season opener this weekend, I'm indifferent. I still support Team McLaren Mercedes, but I'm not as enthusiastic and passionate as before. I'm indifferent, mainly because I don't support Lewis, and oh well.... Heikki Kovalainen.... I'll decide come Melbourne.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gnd/1734818261/
Alonso will face an uphill task this season, having rejoined Renault; judging from the team's dismal performance last year.
No more Mika, no more Kimi, no more Fernando... Should there be a World Champion from McLaren, let it be Heikki. Lewis is getting too big-headed for his own good...
Will MP4-23 impress? We will know in 3 days time....
-LV-
*looking forward to Melbourne in 3 days time, but is left without a driver to support. Anyhow, Team McLaren Mercedes here we come!
Oh yes! Time to register for the McLaren Formula 1 Grand Prix League... :P
No comments:
Post a Comment