Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Story About Bob

I do try to avoid, by all means possible from making visits to mechanics. Frankly speaking, I detest these trips as I find them intimidating. I find myself in an extremely vulnerable position, and I hate that.

I know nuts about cars and machines and when the time calls for a trip to the mechanic, I would procastinate or perhaps ask dear ol' dad to do the deed. *smiles* Being completely clueless makes me an easy 'prey' for those mechanics. Big 'waterfish' (水鱼)! I know that I'll be at their mercy, and needless to say, these chaps often take advantage of my cluelessness! Darn!

Bob's been sick for quite a bit lately and I decided to bring him to the workshop to get things sorted out (after days of procastinating). Ah Meng (fictional name) 'diagnosed' him and the recommended course of treatment was to replace the distributor or carburator (whatever that is...). And the clueless me agreed.
Got it sorted out, went for a test drive and everything seemed fine. I paid up and left. I did have the hunch that I was and have been an extremely big waterfish, but well, I just shrugged, paid up and left. Not like I was left with a choice anyway. It's like a situation that Tan (my lecturer) put forth to us in class.
Doctor tells patient to sign Form A, B, C and D. And more often than not, the patient will sign blindly. Not like they have a choice anyway. Don't sign and you will be left to die..... No consent, no treatment!
Likewise here, 'doctor' tells me that this needs to be changed, blah blah blah.... and "Yes" I said. "No worries, I'm sure to be able to get him later!" I thought to myself. Off I went.

Sure enough Bob laid still when I put my keys in the ignition 3 days later. The very morning I was supposed to leave for a long weekend back in my hometown. And I was left cursing my luck (or lack of it!). Called Ah Kong (fictional name) from the same workshop and got him to sort the problem out, and yet, I was fitted with a lousy re-con sparepart. Oh well, I was left reeling. And I hate it, I would have liked to argue (read: reason) with him for a better replacement (don't mind paying a lil' bit more for a better one as the re-con stuff won't last me long anyway). But well, as I lack knowledge on such stuff, I was left to keep my mouth shut. And I hate it! :( Kena tipu la, what else!

Bob: Exposed

Thank God, I managed to bring Bob home and to my usual mechanic. Got him fixed again and he's hale and hearty now. *touchwood!*


Bob: Car sticker fr Malaysian Hospice Donation Drive


All at an increased expense. Darn!


-LV-

No comments: