"He Walks!"
(Picture Credits: http://flickr.com/photos/lollybob/94160838/)
____
How would you define your "finally grown up" milestone?
-->
Learning to walk?
Learning to talk and say "Daddy"?
Outgrowing our milk-teeth for permanent ones?
Completing Secondary Education?
Entering University?
Graduating from University?
Entering the work force?
Purchasing your first car?
Placing the downpayment for your first property?
Getting hitched?
Having kids?
... and so, the list goes on
____
I was on the phone with a friend a couple of days ago, and as usual... we babbled on endlessly from one random topic to another.
Anyway...
We were talking about living away from home, and the difference it makes to an individual.
I do think that we often reach a certain point in our lives where we feel the need/urge to 'explore' the whole wide world out there, and there will definitely come a time where we will do the inevitable; i.e. leave the comforts of home in pursuance of our dreams.
Therefore, baby bird...
It's time to leave the nest and to spread your wings and fly.
___
As they always say, the first cut is always the deepest,
Likewise, here the first steps may prove difficult, same like you taking your babysteps when you were 10months old (just a random figure, don't know much about a baby's developmental milestones). But ask anyone who've been out there on their own, 99% of them would tell you that the experience is worth while.
"Leaving the nest" does not necessarily mean being whizzed off to a strange country for studies. Neither does it connote with a self-imposed exile for a certain period of time. Some of us may leave home to pursue our studies in a foreign country, in another state, or probably in a neighbouring town. Others may leave behind the creature comforts of home to work in a foreign land, in a different state, or in another town. Whilst there are some who leave home due to marital commitments i.e. setting up your own home.
Whatever the reason may be, one seeks to gain a lot from the experience. Why?
Simple - you are left on a frolic of your own and are forced to grow up and make everyday decisions alone, all by yourself. Swim, and you'll survive; sink, and you'll die...
I must admit that I was one who did not expect to gain much from that experience. I thought I was sufficiently independent. But boy, I was wrong! And I realised that "growing up" meant assuming responsibilities for small little things that I've taken for granted or overlooked all along!
I was put into deep waters (literally) and forced to stay afloat or die! *drama* Overnight, I learnt how to open bank accounts, manage my finances, pay my own bills (don't you take these for granted?!), plan my meals (love cooking, but hate washing!), stockup on my groceries, take my car for repairs (hate it to the MAX!), learnt how to change lightbulbs (yes!), shop for computer pheriperals (it's still a go into the shop and grab whichever looks OK process to me...), make medical decisions on my own and on behalf of a friend, survived a couple of ordeals in the hospital wards ALONE (*lols* Never again! NS: Remember that Malaria case? Syok giler!), cancel phone contracts, manage FOREX, and the list goes on....
I made countless mistakes and had a helluva adventure (wanna know more personal and in-depth stories? Buzz me!) along the way. And am left without a choice but LEARN!
I still live away from home (but not too faraway) now. And my past experience of annual relocations have taught me well...
I guess it doesn't matter whether or not you elect to return to your nest at the end of the 'ordeal'/'adventure' as some of you may put it.
Do seize the opportunity to spread your wings while you are young and full of vigour. Time to break away from the 'cocoon' and cottony comforts of home.
Learn how to pay your own bills, shop for groceries, do your own laundry, fix your own lightbulbs,....
And I assure you, you will return home a better person at the end of it.
Most importantly, with a different perspective of the world!
Trust me, it is different when you work + live on your own c/f (contrasted from) work + live at home; OR study + live in hostels/rented houses/rooms c/f study + live at home...
It's a whole wide world out there! And a different ball game altogether!
"Albuera Pier, Children at Play"
(Picture Credits: http://flickr.com/photos/jeridaking/481261830/)
Alas, childhood seems like such a long time ago!
(Malmo, Sweden; Sept. 2007 en-route home)
-LV-
*growing up is a process, and I still have a lot more to learn...
Do guide me home when I'm lost,
Do offer me reassurance when I'm down...
3 comments:
Agree! the four years stay in England and learning to be independent in all things is definitely an experience that i will not trade for anything else!
Yes, without a doubt!
We learnt how to walk, fall down in the process, pick ourselves up, and walk again!
But still, we've got much to learn... despite the extra 4 years of acquired wisdom ;)
Encourage those close to you to venture out from their cocoons and cotton wools to experience the real world out there!!!!
BEWARE: THERE MAY BE BIG BAD WOLVES...
the old man looks like my lecturer.. :P
Post a Comment