Wednesday, December 05, 2007

It Put a Smile to My Face

I received mail last week... all the way from Belize...


Ah... it was a promise I made to Mel a month ago. I had agreed to participate in Aren's fifth grade social science project. (BTW, Aren is Mel's godson fr USA). An interesting one indeed...



To cut the long story short, students are required to write a journal entry about themselves and their country, then pass it on to their friend/relative (who lives nearby or anywhere in the world). The receipient is then required to create a journal entry and pass it on to another relative/friend of theirs.... Having done that, they are to send Aren a postcard in order for him to track the journal's 'journey' round the globe. Simple as ABC? It ain't no rocket science!



Hence, its (the journal's) journey started in Illinois (USA), to Belize... and now, to Malaysia...




1st Leg - Belize (22nd Oct 2007)


It's been ages since I've last done a scrapbook. So I was rolling back time today... back to my primary school scrapbook days! There I was, sitting in my lounge; flicking through the newspapers and magazines for my journal entry. After 1 hour or so of flicking through numerous newspapers and magazines, I've finally amassed sufficient material for my 9 page journal entry.



(PS: It prolly looks more like a pile of messed up papers)


Enough pictures to amaze a 10 year old I guess. And sufficient material to introduce my country to the fifth graders.

2nd leg - Malaysia (05 December 2007)

Tried to keep things simple. But wow! I realised that I've got so much to say about Malaysia...

Anyhow, I managed to stay within my initial 9 page target (according to Mel's precedent). And my entry is as follows:

(i) Places to Visit

(ii) The People of Malaysia

(iii) Animals of Malaysia

(iv) Malaysian Culture

(v) FOOD!!!!! (How could a description of Malaysia be complete without an entry about food?)

Below are extracts from my entry...



I've done my part! Completed the entry and sent off Aren's postcard.


The journal is on it's way to Australia now. Sarah Chambers - 3rd on the hitlist!

PS: Simple things like this put a smile to my face. It has indeed made my day. And I hope that it made Aren's too!

-LV-

4 comments:

mrbherng said...

This school project is just wonderful and interesting. Wonder will Malaysia ever implement such things. The students will be happy to do it too since their parents will be doing most of the work and then everyone else around the world will do it. Sweet.

Anyway, just popping by.

LV said...

It's definitely an interesting project. I'm curious to see how far my journal travels and whether it comes back in one piece! (should I start one...)

Think M'sian schoolkids lack the enthusiasm to take part in such projects to begin with... What more trying to convince their friends/family to do so....

Anyhow, I just love the idea of this....

PS: Mr. Bherng, interesting blog you have too! ;)

mrbherng said...

You should start one! It is a good test of the six degree thingy as well!

Thanks btw.

LV said...

6 degree thingy???? *blur*