Tuesday, November 13, 2007

To Travel and To Explore

I once dreamt of working in the rainforests, ala Jane Goodall. Saving the wildlife, conserving our environment. Hence, the idea of being an environmental scientist did play in my mind for quiet sometime. But alas, I came to realise that this dream of mind would have to pave way for something more viable in the long run.

Fast forward 7 years later, as I sit here typing this blog entry, my urge to travel is greater than ever. But then again, reality strikes. Without a proper job and qualifications (well, I still need my CLP) where am I going to find the money to travel? Hence, my dreams of backpacking round the world or cycling across Central Asia goes down the drain. (Yet again!)

In the next few years to come, work commitments would definitely tie me down. Thus, my best bet would be to get a job that would provide me with the opportunity to jet-set around the world. But well, how many lawyers do that? Perhaps, I'm in the wrong field. Should have done some international development (read UNDP) or maybe medicine (read WHO Humanitarian Aid programmes). I envy K who will be heading off to Thailand with UNIDO, envy S who used to do humanitarian work in Afghanistan, envy D who set up a medical aid agency in his home country... Will I be able to do that?

Yes, I could just complete my CLP next July and dump everything behind, pack my bags and go globetrotting, reading to blind kids, building schools, running developmental programmes. But, I realise, it would be a selfish act to do so. I can't just dump everything behind. Plus, at times, I do feel the need to settle down (read stay rooted) at one place. (This in part played an important role in my not applying for the IGS in Manchester).

There are many other means by which we could help make a difference. We just have to be at the right place, at the right time.

Nonetheless... It's time for me to join the rat race... and to contribute whenever/whereever possible

No comments: