Saturday, June 14, 2008

Raisin Scones

____
I used to bake lots of scones during my University days. Firstly, I am often unable to finish the huge tub of butter that I buy. Hence, in my attempt to finish it off when it's a day or two nearing expiry, I'll bake scones. And secondly, I love raisins!!! Raisin in bread, raisin in biscuits (those you get from the market), fruit cake... ok, I draw the line at raisins in wine. *drools*

And my flatmates loved them too! (Or at least they made me believe that they do. Hmmm... but then, they usually help themselves to them whenever I bake them. So should taste good gua...) Hence, it became my 'signature dish'.

I've certainly gone a long way. My first attempt wasn't that bad. But it didn't look too presentable and the raisins were a bit dry (didn't soak them in milk beforehand) plus, the lack of butter. Hence, the lack of oomph...

My very first attempt: The dried raisins looked more like chocolate chips!


Ha ha! I could still remember the trauma I put Mel through each and everytime I make them. I knew I could always count on her for constructive and an honest comment.

So, every now and then throughout my years in Manchester, I'll bake scones whenever my butter is nearing expiry (every 3 months). And my recipe has evolved. Voila! I've perfected it!



Compare and contrast with the ones in the picture above, please. *Kembang*

Anyway, I made scones again 2 weeks ago (my first proper attempt in 7 months). And as I never wrote my recipe down anywhere, I had to 'pakai hentam' or 'Raleigh style' as XT puts it.

My skills were a bit rusty and as I had to make it from memory, the recipe was a bit 'out of spec' (i.e. not according to specifications). A bit too sweet and a bit too much butter for my liking, but still edible.

It's baking, it's baking...


*tadah...*

Now, I'd better 'file' the recipe down in the cyber-world before I lose/forget about it.


Ingredients:
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg (Egg yolk and egg white separated)
A pinch of salt

Baking Instructions:
1. Sift flour if desired. (But lazy people like me will just use it as it is!)
2. Mix flour and sugar. Rub in butter.
3. Add milk and egg yolk.
4. Knead mixture (or dough?) and add raisins.
5. Divide into small balls of equal size.
6. Lightly brush egg white over them. (How to structure this sentence properly?)
7. Bake at 170-190'c for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.



Eating (Serving) Instructions: *grins*
1. Best eaten slightly warm on its own,
or
split into equal halves with butter spread over it ('guai lo' aka fattening aka calorie-ladden style),
or
if desired, split into half with strawberry jam spread over it! (my personal favourite, when the scones aren't too sweet)

Tuck in and enjoy!

-LV-

No comments: