Thursday, June 26, 2008

IW June 08

Note: Pictures reproduced with kind permission from BJ Eng
____

And there goes another IW (Introduction Weekend), where prospective members are recruited and 'brainwashed' into the Raleigh scheme of things. (Disclaimer: Just kidding)
Like birthdays in the jungle, for instance.
(btw the actual age is 3candles x 10. Oh well, almost :P)


Anyway, we had a 3 day 2 night camp (AT AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION), so to speak, to introduce Raleigh to interested participants; who we are, what we do and more importantly to expose participants to what life is/will be like on Expedition.

Yup, unsuspecting participants will be bundled up into a bus like blind-folded mice and carted off to the middle of no where for 3 days, 2 nights.

Now, to the dear parents out there, aren't you worried??? Your kids will be with a 'cult' and incommunicado for 3 days 2 nights, and they come back a changed person!!! Omigosh!!!! How tragic!!! I can imagine the worried looks of those parents whose kids are nicely wrapped in cotton wool to prevent cracks and then cling-wrapped to prevent water from seeping in ala Gore-Tex. *oops... me and my big bad mouth again!*

That's how life in expedition will be. I won't know whether I'll be doing the gravity water-feed system, the hostel, the kindergarten or the eco-lodge until I report for duty aka slavery at Kota Kinabalu base-camp on 28th July. Heh.. but thankfully, mum and dad has set me free since time in memorial.

So yup, so long as I come back in one piece, I can climb the highest mountains, trek in absolute wilderness, eat lizards, bathe with elephants, work in Latin America, do an internship in Indonesia... it's fine... Don't think they'll fancy the idea of me marrying a Jipungu (fictional tribe) warrior and live in mud huts though...

Anyway, back to the topic...

Yup, that's a birthday cake for 'Langkawi Shopping Centre'; Raleigh style...


I haven't been on an IW (yet). Have always intended to attend one since I was 17 (yes, no joke). But, plans have always been aborted last minute. Yup, no one to blame but myself; as all talk no action translates to nothing!


However, I'm glad to have been able to help out during the past 2 IWs (as a keh-leh-feh staff holding a miniature, tiny and forgettable supporting role); as the registrar for both December and the recent June IWs. With my busy schedule and my inexperience with the ways of Raleigh, that's how I could contribute, at the very least.

Staff briefing by Vincent aka the slave-driver for the weekend


The registrar's job wasn't rocket science (how difficult can it be to answer phone calls and to reply emails?), but it's great fun. I'm glad I took time out to work on these 2 IWs.

And as reward for our efforts, we got a bottle of water each. *yay*


I'll be freed from the clutches of See-Elle-Pee on 23rd July and will be off on Expedition on 28th July, and beyond that I endeavour to participate/contribute or simply be present at the next IW.

This is an undertaking that I hope to be able to fulfil in the near future...


-LV-

No comments: