Friday, May 30, 2008

The Rucksack Dilemma

Update: Oh yes, I had to give the yellow 3o+10 one from Deuter a miss too! It looked good, sunset yellow; something like the colour of Bumblebee in Transformers...

___

I (FINALLY) purchased my rucksack 2 days ago. Pick-a-bag at Pertama Complex; Jln Tunku Abdul Rahman.

Was in KL by 8.50am, hence spent quite sometime roaming around the quiet streets of KL early in the morning. It felt funny, KL city, quiet; on a Wednesday morning. Oh well, maybe just this particular street.

A peaceful and quiet Jln Tuanku Abdul Rahman; in the morning.

Anyway, the rucksack selection process was PAINFUL! It took me 1.5 hours to choose one that fit me to a tee.

I ventured into the shop, adamant at getting a 40L rucksack (knowing very well, that it would not be adequate for a 5 week expedition). *I know, I know* In fact, was telling SC that I'm adamant that a 20L would be enough for the 5 weeker... Yeah, it would probably be, only if I'm dressed in bikinis and G-strings throughout the expedition; less cloth, save space in rucksack!

Spotted one by Deuter that I liked; purple+white+grey, it looked pretty. *Lols* I know I should put functionality ahead of beauty, but that rucksack stood out from the zillions of rucksack in the shop. Too bad, it was only a 30L one. Too small, hence fail! *sulks*

Tried a couple by Deuter; a 40+10, 45+10, 60L. The 40+10 fit well, hip support fit to a tee, but shoulder straps were a bit too big; but the bag was slightly too high up/long? that it rested midway through my head, hence it didn't feel comfortable. The 45+10 was worse; the hip support did not fit well, plus, only 1/3 of the inner part of the shoulder straps rested on my shoulders; the other 2/3 was left hanging from my shoulders; I looked like a 'knight in shining armour' to a certain extent *grins*. And despite weights being put into the 45+10, there was still a huge gap between the shoulder strap and my shoulders; you could put your whole arm through it. The 60L had badly positioned shoulder straps that cut through my shoulder blades.

Mr. Rucksack, with its many cords and contraptions.

(Now, should I name it??)


Hence, i browsed and broswed and browsed. Left with no other choice from the Deuter range, I had to look at the more 'up-market' ones from Karrimor. I liked the 45L one they had, but kiasu me was afraid I might not be able to fit in my army rations into the meagre 45L rucksack. Hence, that was out. There was another 40L one that was super-uber light, that fit well.
But then, I needed to feed a whole nation with my army ration. Thus, 40L is just too small!!!

Woo hoo! My spanking new lean, mean backpacking machine. Yeah babehhhh.....


Browsed time and again... till the salesgirl suggested the red Cougar 65 from Karrimor. I was hessitant as it appeared huge. By now, I was quite 'paiseh' (English: didn't feel nice) for putting the 2 girls through such mental and physical torture. I know they must have been cursing me for making them take down one bag after another from the display shelf, and transfer the weights from bag A to B to C to B to C and back to bag A again.

I was at the verge of going, "Karrimor, Deuter,Northface, whatever... just get me one that fits!"

Anyway, I agreed to try the Cougar 65. And presto!!! Despite the size, it fit me well! Did a couple of trial runs in the shop with weights, jumped up and down with it, .... Yes, it felt great and this is the bag for me. Hence I grabbed it!

Karrimor; Cougar 65 (Colour: Cinder)


At the cost of RM700 (post-discount). I can't believe that I paid so much for a bag!!!! A bag with the capacity of 65L.

The exact weight of a full rucksack?
Think: LV carrying the weight of a 'pregnant LV' on her back.
(Almost 1.5 times my body weight, should the bag be stuffed to the brim!)

Ah, there goes the bulk of the money from my 'professional begging' last July-September!

I paid for my purchase, thanked the girls for their kind assistance, and off home I went with my new baby!

This is how big it is when empty, I would not want to imagine how enormous, gigantic and huge it would be when its fully stuffed with my 'barang-barangs'!


-LV-
*Rucksack done! Hiking shoes next!!!
When's Jusco having sales?

No comments: