Thursday, May 01, 2008

Peng Nam

Classic Chinese Pre-war shopfront - Name of the shop carved on the pillar. [For the uninitiated, it is supposed to read "Peng Nam Restaurant" (Peng Nam Zau Lau - 4th word missing)]

But I do wonder, what "Peng Nam" means in Chinese??? I'm the classic case of know how to read but don't know what it means. Would someone kindly enlighten me? Pardon me...

_____

Had a relaxing 4 day break back home and I'm back down South again.... Ahhhhh.... May have another long weekend off next week (that's what the timetable says, barring any unforeseen 'ambush' by the Torture Camp authorities)... Well, we shall see.

It's May day today, thus, Mum and Dad decided to drive me back down South. Bro tagged along as usual. And we dropped by Peng Nam (in Rawang) for dinner.

Rawang Town @ 6.45pm (approx.)


It is a classic old school Chinese shop with marble table, big 'daun nipah' fans (errrrmmm... I don't know how to describe them, but it's those old school ceiling fans), located in the middle of town, serving home cooked food; something different from the 'dai chao' (大炒) places we normally frequent. It's a family-run business and food there tastes really really really (emphasis added) good....

The shop front


Classic Chinese Makan Place: Chopsticks + Soysauce plate + Chinese Tea + Bucket of Ice (Ah!!! Too bad I didn't have a picture of the teapot and the 'sterilising bowl' aka the bowl of hot water commonly used to rinse the cutlery and teacups prior to use.)


It closes at 8pm everyday, so we got there at about 6.30pm just before the dinner crowd starts to pour in. Despite our 'foresight', we were lucky to get a table as the 12 tables there were fully occupied but for one. 15 minutes later, a mini queue started to form outside. Yes, no joke.


And before we proceed to the food, I am duty bound to place my usual disclaimer.

Warning VCKY: Food pictures ahead!!!!!

We had our 'default dishes'; deep fried wanton, omelette, sweet and sour pork and a stir-fried vegetable (Choy Sum tonight). Btw, the fish with tofu tastes good too, though we didn't order it this time around.


Omelette: Alas, the picture does not do it any justice. Trust me, it tastes good.



Stir-fried Choy Sum in the background. Pardon my poor photography skills. Was more eager to dig into the food than to take pictures by now! :P



Sweet & Sour Pork: Tangy tasting sauce with pieces of crispily fried pork. Perfect harmony!


The famed deep fried Wanton with the sweet & sour dip: Tastes good, though I'm not a big fan of deep fried wantons.
(Chopstick + Wanton + Dipping action courtesy of TTY)

Rice is individually cooked in a steel/metal/alloy bowl. Old school man! And I thought I'm the only one who does this at home. Yup, I 'double boil' my rice in a small metal bowl at times (to prevent the kerak nasi (crust???) from forming should I cook it in the rice cooker due to the miniscule amount of rice cooked), when I don't feel like cooking 3 day's supply of rice.
Rice: Cooked the Old School Way

Total damage: RM48 (inclusive of rice and drinks)

-LV-

2 comments:

SONblogger said...

评= “To evaluate"
男=“ Male"

评男= "To evaluate a guy?"

haha....weird name for a restaurant I could only say.....

LV said...

errrrmmm... that name sounds so wrong!