I've been indulging in a lot of leisure reading recently, a long forgotten hobby of mine. I've never had the time to read much during secondary school as I was constantly shuttling between tuition classes, co-curricular activities and sports commitments. So, it was only during my 2nd year in Manchester that I've joined the Central Library and gained access to the enormous collection of books; biographies and fiction.
I rarely read when I'm in Malaysia. Mainly because of the lack of access to books. The library's too far away and too much of a hassle to brave the traffic jams to get to Perpustakaan Negara (opposite IJN) just to borrow 2 books, only to go through the same traumatic process to return it 2 weeks later. Secondly, I can't bring myself to spend a good RM35 on a book of which I know would be read only once. And within 3 days, if I'm up to it. Imagine: 400pages = RM35 = 3 days. *poof* goes your money! Thirdly, looking for a space to store these books is another headache! But then, now that I'm back home (for good) and enjoying the good life here (It's fun being home!), I guess I do need to get a nice book once in a while to entertain myself.
ANYWAY....
I was reading "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult when my attention was deviated towards this book; "P.S. I Love You" by Cecilia Ahern.
It has been adapted to a motion picture i.e. movie starring Hillary Swank and Gerard Butler. But, I wasn't fortunate enough to have to opportunity to watch the movie. So, I have to make do with the book.
The synopsis is as follows...
Holly and Gerry are childhood sweethearts and it's hard to imagine them without each other. Tragedy strikes when Gerry is diagnosed and subsequently succumbs to brain tumour. Holly, like the rest of us finds it hard to come to terms with her loss.
Until one day, she receives a call from her mother stating that there is a letter for her. It turns out that the letter consists of a bundle of notes, one for each month (lasting 10 months) from Gerry, aimed to guide her gently towards a life without him. Each ending with P.S. I Love You.
This sounds silly, but the book did give me the creeps during the first few chapters. It was weird reading about the notes Gerry left before his death. But a few chapters later, I eased into the idea of the notes which formed the crux of this book. I'm at note number 4 now, where Gerry told Holly to pack all his possessions and to give them away to his intended receipients. As much as she is reluctant to do it, she knows that it has to be done; and that life has to move on.
Will update more when I'm done with the book! Later... 6 more notes to go!
-LV-
PS: I Love You
1 comment:
I have P.S. I Love You but it's with mun wei currently, lol! it's not bad, but i prefer 'Where Rainbow Ends' actually, it's good..will bring the book back for u if u want :) and I so wana read My Sister's Keeper, gonna buy the book :D
Post a Comment