(Picture credits: http://www.amazon.co.uk)

(Picture credits: http://www.amazon.co.uk)
This book in essence; tells the tale of a young girl (Anna) who was conceived in order to play a role of a saviour sibling to her sister (Kate) who suffers from leukemia. As she was conceived and pre-selected using PIGD (pre-implantation genetic diagnosis) to ensure that she is (will be) a perfect genetic match for Kate, Anna (now aged 13) feels that she was not 'wanted' all along. She would not have existed but for Kate's illness.
I'm only at chapter 6 now, but I like the way Picoult (the author) narrates the chronicles; trials and tribulations of the various parties involved in Anna's 'quest for justice'. The first few chapters explore Anna's personal thoughts and her dissatisfaction towards the knowledge that she was intended to function as a saviour sibling for Kate. The author then follows on with Brian and Sue (I forgot her mum's name); their decision to embark on PIGD in order to find a matching 'donor' for Kate. To date (i.e. up to where I've stopped), Anna has engaged a lawyer (Campbell) to aid her in her personal quest. She feels 'used' and would like a court order restraining her parents from forcefully committing her to donate be bone marrow to her sister.
At chapter 7 now, and I'm loving this book as gets me thinking of the various issues that I've explored during the entire of 2006/07. Will post about my thoughts about these issues after I'm finished with this book.
-LV-
No comments:
Post a Comment