Sunday, January 13, 2008

Confirmation of the Truth

Civil Procedure, Criminal Procedure, Tort, Contract, Wills & Probates, Evidence, Land Law, Ethics, Advocacy, Bankruptcy.

The above is the list of subjects I take for CLP. 5 subjects, rolled into 10 papers. Madness! Anyway, that's beside the point.

The past 4 months have reaffirmed what I've come to realise throughout my 4 year forray into the legal world. (Still taking baby-steps though).

1. I do not like Corporate and Commercial related subjects.
Contracts, commercial agreements, trade, mergers, acquisitions..... They all kill me! Seriously. I forget the concepts as soon as I learn them.

2. I like caselaw based subjects.
S126 Evidence Act, o74r6 Rules of the High Court, etc etc kill me!
BUT
Bolam v Friern Hospital Management Committee [1957] 1 All ER (page)
*Woo hoo!* I like it!

3. I like client interaction.
Volunteering at the Legal Advice Centre has reaffirmed this. That's why I've always tried to ask Anne for Family Law or Medical Law related cases. I just love interacting with people.
Ask me to look at contracts, draft agreements,.... better that you euthanise me!

4. I love Medical Law!
The more I study it, and the more I read about this subject.... The love for it grows! Sad thing is I've only been working with the patients all this while. Need to help defend a doctor to be able to look at things from the other side of the fence.

5. I love Family Law!
Though it may be sad when people recall the breakup of a 20 year marriage in front of you. No holds barred!
I could still remember the words and sadness in the eyes of my first client.

So, conclusion....

Do corporate and commercial stuff, do conveyancing stuff... I'll die man!

Give me a traffic accident case, a divorce case, a medical negligence suit... and I'll be the happiest person around... :)

-LV-

No comments: