Thursday, April 23, 2009

Advocacy Skills

Just completed a 4 day course in Advocacy Skills today. The course was conducted by Peter Ridgeway and Hugh Selby; a prosecutor and a defence counsel specially flown in from Australia. I found it very interesting, informative and beneficial. It did, without a doubt provide me with some information on what to expect and what to do in the courtroom when preparing and conducting cases; given the 'zero' exposure I've got so far. So yes, I had a swell time there! It sad that some did not grasp fully the opportunities presented during the 4 days.

And yes, another plus point is the fact that the whole course was conducted in English. Thumbs up for enjoyment! The manner in which the course was conducted, reminded me of those Manchester lectures and lecturers which I miss so much. I enjoyed the lack of fuss in having to address people by their 'titles', the relaxed atmosphere in which I could do my presentation whilst seated on the table during Neil's Mental Health Law lectures and more importantly, the intellectually stimulating debates I had with Kirsty, Margo, John and oh yes Matti! It's interesting and engaging, getting to talk and exchange views with people with such great depth of knowledge, experience and passion in their field, but yet at the same time unafraid (or rather welcome) being questioned and 'cross-examined' on their area of expertise! *Respect, respect, respect*

Alas, those Neil, Kirsty, Margo, John, Suzzane and Matti days are long behind me. Same with the 4 days of Hugh and Peter.

Back to reality, back to being a 'library keeper' tomorrow!

-LV-

No comments: