Friday, October 03, 2008

New Phase, New Challenge

This little corner of mine has taken a backseat for the past 9 weeks. Have been away for 7 weeks, running around for another 2, and well I'm finally home and enjoying the very last week of my freedom.

I'll finally step into the real world aka work after 20 years of formal education. Thank God the first 5 years of my life was spent playing around at home, living a carefree life. Otherwise, it would have been 25 neat years of studying and learning.

A natural transition/progression.

Have been busy shopping around for some work wear and it just struck me, how much 'preparation' I needed to make. It was a total revamp of my wardrobe altogether. From t-shirts, shorts, jeans and blouses to a whole new wardrobe of suits (BLACK only) and neatly ironed and pressed shirts. And yes, I still need to shop for another pair of court shoes/pumps.

Frankly speaking, this feels surreal, and 5 years have been a long, winding and at times trying journey. Having said that, I think that there are definitely moments during that period that I'll miss. Having endured the many ups and downs along the way, I could now proudly say that, "I'm almost there". And yes, the day of my long call (1 year down the road) is now 'virtual certainty'. I'm living my dream at the moment; having chosen the profession which I can now safely regard as my 'calling'. I can't say for sure that I'm born to do this. But the passion is there and I definitely know what I want from this 10 years down the road. Am grateful and lucky that I've secured my dream job, and hopefully be posted to the department of my choice. Fingers crossed. Otherwise, I won't hessitate to explore other avenues. Plan B kicks into action. :P

I anticipate that my life in the not too distant future (2 days from now) would be very different from that of a 'professional student'. Datelines to meet, boardroom politics, monetary woes,.... And perhaps, the most striking difference would be the feeling of returning home from work at night to face the 4 walls at my place, not having any studying to do. Just me and the TV/laptop accompanied by the whirring sound of the ceiling fan.

Solitude, loneliness or relaxation?

To be honest, I'm uncertain if the 5 years of training has equipped me well to face the music. I do wonder if I know enough about Medical Law to save the doctor's arses. Or whether I'll have the guts to face hardcore criminals in prison. And yes, I do wonder if I'll ever be a competent lawyer.

Either way, it's a conscious decision that I've made; to return to Malaysia, to do my CLP, and to close doors at the option of practicing overseas. For better or for worse, those are decisions that I'll have to live with. Hence, I'm determined to give it my very best.

Do keep your fingers crossed for me come Monday.

-LV-

No comments: